Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church was the first church built in Western Kentucky. At this time West Kentucky embraced the entire territory located in the eastern part of Hickman County on State Route 1708. There have been six church houses built on the same spot which is simply unusual.
Around 1823 a group of settlers met on the present church site and erected a "round-pole" cabin with an open fireplace and a dirt floor where the people met to worship, but there was no organized church until Abram Long came to Hickman County.
Hearing of the "Pole-Cabin Meeting Place", he came to worship with the group, and in 1828 organized the church which he named Mount Pleasant.The land for the church building to be built on was donated by John W. Evans. On October 18, 1836, Evans gave to Daniel Jackson, Benjamin Bone, George Evans, David Kelly, and James Seay as "trustees for the time being and their successors forever two or three acres be the land more or less including the present meeting house known by the name of Mount Pleasant."